Friday, April 07, 2006

The parent speaks

Okay, so I finally got into the blog and its just brilliant. I read all of them including the comments...whoever had this idea is a genius! Thank you! Its great to know that everyone is writing and I really urge you to connect with the senior writer assigned to you. Maia maybe you could send your 12 scenes to Shiv for feedback...if your ready to that is. Anyway I guess each of you will figure out your own way of doing this so I shall stop being the parent especially 'cos I'm not a writer!
I have to say that a comment posted here on the earlier festival was disturbing because it said that there were patronising standing ovations and house full shows and none of the plays had a run except Rahuls because the audience did not connect with a lot of the plays. I just want to say that this is entirely UNTRUE! And you can read over a dozen critics comments to know that I'm not making this up! Besides plays like Sandesh's Pahila Vahila, Shiv's Clogged Arteries, Aruna's Chor Chor, ran for ten or more shows after the festival was over. So please, I urge you, do not write anything to please an audience...sure you need to communicate with them...but if you write with the end result in mind I think you will be doing yourself a great injustice. At least that is completely against everything that Writers Bloc stands for. And if there is a worry that craft and structure will drown out your individual voices that is crap as well. The craft is only there to help you find your individual voice and then hone it so why would the craft interfere with the writing? I think Carl and Phyllida told each one of you that you need to write a story that only you can tell and that you have to tell...that's your individual voice isn't it? Many actors say that craft ruins the spontaneity of their acting and that according to me is bullshit...it enhances everything you do. So use it to your advantage!
Whew...I thought I wasn't going to be a parent and here I am doling out advice!
Ah well! Thats me!
More soon
Shernaz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home