Friday, September 22, 2006

Disturbing trip to Imphal

I just got back from Imphal. Was there on some work. What an incredibly wierd and unsettling experience. I had this exotic picture of the place on my mind and what I saw instead was literally a slap in the face. Felt completely unwelcome. Was there barely for five days and felt like an intruder right through my stay. I guess Swar would be the best person to talk to about this. I visited the chorus repertory theatre and spoke to The-Man-Himself- Mr. Ratan Thiyam. That was qiute a rewarding experience...but barely enough to mke my memory of Manipur a pleasant one.

2 Comments:

Blogger ramganeshk said...

I saw one of his play's at the RS opening festival and it blew my mind - (though I didn't understand too much) ...

Every moment of the play can be framed as a photograph.

A question about the play though... Who's the guy in the black trench coat and glares walking about incongruously? What's he on about? Please educate.

9:52 pm  
Blogger Swar Thounaojam said...

RGK, the coat-man can be Ratan Thiyam himself OR in the play he is the man the woman (the actress who lights the lantern and pulls it up) loves and is losing. the man represents dislocation.

Ira, I understand you. if you had visited imphal two decades ago, your exotic image would have been fulfilled. but now, its a ghost town. i also feel like a stranger there the last time i went. on my way from the airport, five commandoes leaped over my car with AK47s and right across the street they pummeled a man (an insurgent who had come to extort money from the nearby electricity office). Another thing, Manipuris can be very formal and nowadays, many are suspicious of strangers. So, maybe that can be a reason why you felt unwelcome. however, you should visit during any of the festivals. you will get the beauty of the place and its people. we are victims of circumstances and compromises taken at gunpoint.

12:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home