Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Copy Cat

Long time! Have good as well as not so good news to share with you. Let me start with the not so good one.As all of you know, Shernaz had given my script to a Marathi director Pratima Kulkarni who has politely refused to direct it saying that the theme as well as the content of the play has been dealt with before. I am fine with the theme(s) being ripped. My play deals with sibling rivalry, alienation, desolation etc, etc and hopefully I have succeded in drawing parallels between the "micro" squabbling between the two sisters and the "macro" riot unfolding outside. I think there is a paucity of themes out there, so what can one do!I can't take a likewise liberal view on content.
To the writers who came for the later workshop- The new play "Dreamcatcher" is about two sisters who are classical Indian dancers spending an evening holed up in a five star suite because their show has been cancelled due to a communal flareup. Their only contact with the outside world is the waiter who has been deputed to their room. As tensions escalate outside, the sisters are forced to confront all the ugliness in their own lives. A dreamcatcher also makes an appearance to indicate how the best dreams are meant not to stay but to wither and die and then reappear in some other form.That really is the jist.
Ira asked for the whole script so I mailed it to her. Needless to add, I can mail it to anyone else also if they have the time or inclination to read it.I would be quite concerned if the content of the play inadvertently resembles any other Indian play, in whatever language. I can't imagine any non-Indian play having a similar content as the setting is so 'desi.' But again if someone knows of any firang play, that is similar in content, do let me know.
At this stage in my writing career, I just can't afford to have someone claiming my play is derivative from some other text. Especially since I have been quite vocal about any form of creative writing being driven by "original ideas." I truly believe any reinterpretation including adaptations is "clever writing," something I no longer want to do after my shot at King Lear!So if there is any other play that may make it appear that my play has borrowed content, I would much rather withdraw it.
In some ways, this is so reminiscent of 2001 when I wrote my first play "Scars in my memory." :-(A journalist asked me if I had ripped it from "The Blair Witch project." I hadn't seen the movie and found it difficult to defend myself. When I watched it later, I just couldn't see any resemblance except both of them were "experimental." Then when the play began to get good audience and critical response, a doyen from Bangalore theatre started spreading I had actually ripped it from a film called "Spin the bottle." I watched that too and was pleasantly surprised at the non resemblance.
I am sure that Ms. Kulkarni doesn't know me from adam and her feedback is impartial and genuine. So that's all the more worrying. Do help fellow writers!
The good news is ( I can see Nadir and KRK sniggering with unhealthy delight as they read this!)- I have just got a web site done. I know none of you would believe me if I told you I did it on my publisher's advice. So I am not saying it. :-) Please visit me at www.vijaynair.net. The site is almost ready. Some pictures have to be included, that's all. Feedback is most welcome.To redeem myself
I also taught Dhruv Uno. He beats me all the time.I think I am revealing too much.
Bye!

1 Comments:

Blogger ramganeshk said...

"cross between a sixth standard art project and the municipal commissioners' official site" ... !!! ??? !!!

Well I guess that sums up Vijjay's personality just fine then, don't you think?

Snort snort ... Oops just dribbled acid on my toes.

1:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home