Friday, April 21, 2006

Composition

Ok. This is dangerously close to an intellectual wank but I'm going to hazard it.

I'm fascinated by musicians. Of late - masters of the electric guitar - I've been listening to G3 - and Joe Sat, Malmsteen and Vai are frying all my circuits. I think playwriting is quite close to music in that it is 'composition' and not 'literary' writing. Ok, that's a real can of worms. Screw it.

Of late I've become more and more interested in the 'force of sound' in a play. (Like I've just discovered that the 'pretty but gone' beat is like an arpeggio. )

A friend of mine saw a show of DoG and commented - 'I could feel a music to the play.'
Is this music inherent, or can you modify it with practice? Can you consciously refine it?

At this point I have Crab close to being pinned and I'm thinking, what do I want to do?
Do a Joe Sat - beautiful and free flowing stuff, smelling of freedom and running in the rain - extremist?
Do a Vai - weeping and wailing contortions that bleed n tear flesh and fingernails off - whispering a prayer?
Do a Malmsteen - relentless turbonitro speed speed speed fucking technical classical madness - trilogy suite op. 5, the first movement?

Hrm... anu is going to kill me if she sees this.

3 Comments:

Blogger ramganeshk said...

Fine fine fine!

Yeesh ... I was just making conversation... and trying to avoid actually writing ok.

6:36 pm  
Blogger ramganeshk said...

I am now listening to Moby.

5:44 pm  
Blogger ramganeshk said...

In music, an arpeggio (plural, "arpeggi") is a spread chord played top-to-bottom or visa versa in sheet music. It occasionally indicates accompaniment as well. The name of the chord comes from the Italian word, which means "in the manner or sound of the harp."

The following instruments use arpeggios:

Bass guitarists often use arpeggios to play out chords.
Guitarists may use arpeggios to achieve a particular sound. For example the neo-classical shred guitar music that Yngwie Malmsteen made popular in the 1980's employed arpeggios extensively. This is a result of a heavy influence from classical music, understandably.

(Don't u love wikipedia.)

5:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home