Friday, April 07, 2006

Development etc.

Hey Maia, what a great article that was. Even as I write here, right outside my office off Parliament Street, activists of the Narmada Bachao Andolan are on hunger strike on the streets. Medha Patkar has been arrested and taken away to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, but Bhagvatiben on her 9th day is still going strong. This after the Home Minister told them to their faces that he doesn't have land to give them where they can relocate. Yet the dam's height is being raised. Despite the Supreme Court's order that people need to be relocated at least a year in advance of a possible flooding. The monsoons are a month away, and the dam is being raised. And a bunch of strong, stubborn, heroic people are fighting it out with the various governments of India to gain control of the land into which they were born. Ironic, isn't it?
Our little band of kids and adults will perform for them tomorrow evening. Because that is all they asked us to do and we don't have much more to give. We turn out on the streets to show solidarity. But what else do we have to give?
It is worth more than a thought though, what we are willing to sacrifice in the name of development. In Manipur some women demonstrate in the nude, in Andhra and Vidharbha the farmer who feeds the country registers his protest by giving up his life and in front of a centuries' old time piece and observation centre, some tribal women from Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh vie for space with the victims of Bhopal gas tragedy to have their rights by the most legal means possible. They have been fighting for twenty years.What more can we do?
I often think theatre should be the media through which I can register my protest and yet I wonder--do i have the ability, or the voice, to be heard? That is why Swar's effort is so laudable. She is speaking not only from her heart, but for her people and the injustices they suffer every day at the hands of givers of the law. She has the strength and clarity of voice to speak up. I am yet to find it. But I am searching, now with new tools to aid expression. I hope I will be able to speak someday, the way that I want to be able to speak. To say the things that ring in my head and make it almost impossible to breathe, at times. I don't know honestly if that will happen by June, but I see this as a strong step taken in the right direction. And its wonderful to know that you guys are with me as I stumble along.

7 Comments:

Blogger ramganeshk said...

Rocking true rocking true. Stumble away! We all need to do our bit. Just keep going - hell or high water.


(Just got an sms asking to participate in the protest as well. It's on MG road tmrw. Medha Patkar is one tough lady. Full respect for her!)

10:18 pm  
Blogger Cloud Mother said...

Misquote..well. not quite. But definitely completely out of context! She asked me whether there was a tendency to say too much or a difficulty in finding the right words to express ourselves. Verbal diarrhoeia was her term, and I repeated it (boo hoo!!). And then I said the point was to learn to channelise our thoughts in the right direction and learn to use economy in speech.
My husband can't stop laughing about it!

10:59 am  
Blogger ramganeshk said...

hehehehe

im still offended though

8:58 pm  
Blogger Cloud Mother said...

Hey Vijay,
Of course there are others. But which field are you looking at? Would help if you could give me an idea of what kind of work you are looking for.

1:18 pm  
Blogger ramganeshk said...

Tsk tsk...
Why would I nit-pick on spellos man? Don't be silly.

However...

Consider using 'may' instead of 'can' or 'could' to indicate possibilty, can = ability.

Eg. Can I have a break? (Sure you 'can' but that's not grammatical.)

May I have a break? (Correct usage).

I am asking for an ass whooping aren't I? Snort snort snort...
He he he he he he... hahahaha...

6:04 pm  
Blogger Cloud Mother said...

This is getting to be more interesting than Sigmunde!
I'm getting some meat for my threesome-which-doesn't happen scene. Think Ram could inspire the part of the boyfriend who never was and the other girlfriend(s) he never had...or should that have been 'may inspire'? ;-)
Ha ha...am getting my own back now. Are you still offended, surrogate nephew?
Vijay, will get back to you with some interesting people you could look at covering. For the moment, you could look at Bhagwatiben Patidar, who has been leading the NBA at the people's level. Then there are the urbanites: Rajinder Singh the water man in Rajasthan, Vivek Menon, whose Wildlife Trust of India has been quietly doing some solid work in the field of conservation. Karthik who's working with animals in Delhi is another candidate. The whole lot of women who have been campaigning for their rights after having their lives torn apart by the Bhopal Gas tragedy.

11:28 am  
Blogger ramganeshk said...

Go ahead old people go ahead...
Adopt me in various beautifully disarming familial ways and then gang up and kick me in the teeth.
Sure sure...
Z's just going to pick up more layers...

1:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home