Wednesday, April 26, 2006

present, sir

Ram is a man with a mission. Hounded my ass into posting too, I was just keeping quiet for lack of anything particularly interesting to say.

I went to Chennai for a few days to watch Tim Supple's Midsummer Night's Dream. I'd built up huge expectations over the last few months, all of which came crashing down when I actually watched it. Lots of beautiful people doing impressive physical stunts but I didn't have a single theatrical wow moment.

The last Shakespeare I saw was Complicite's Measure for Measure, which I thought was brilliant. But that had been ruthlessly edited to suit the director's interpretation, which I think was a good thing. Otherwise in Shakespeare people stand around spouting dialogue endlessly.

Ram, what the hell is this supposed to mean?

"I'm beginning to believe that at the end of the day, theater at its most extreme, can only rely on the presence of the live performer. Film wins hands down, on almost all other fronts."


That's all for now. Of course I've carefully avoided any mention of the play I'm supposed to write.

1 Comments:

Blogger ramganeshk said...

"I'm beginning to believe that at the end of the day, theater at its most extreme, can only rely on the presence of the live performer. Film wins hands down, on almost all other fronts."


I mean that...
Theatre's undeniable strength is about live performance.
Other experiential stuff ... are all much more powerful in film.

I remember reading somewhere that Kane wrote 'Cleansed' disgusted with all the stage to film adaptations. And wrote it so that it could never be made into a film.

Proof of the power of theatre.

2:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home