Friday, June 16, 2006

Stoppard

I went to the opening night of Tom Stoppard's new play, Rock and Roll, at the RCT a couple of days ago. The first play he has ever had done there -- I think he has generally been felt not to be a 'Royal Court writer', whatever that means. But he asked if he could have one put on for the 50th anniversary, and this was it. Star studded cast, directed by Trevor Nunn, incredibly starry audience -- I was inches from Mick Jagger at one point, and there were people there from Pink Floyd -- also Vaclav Havel and many other famous faces. Everyone clapped and cheered and roared their approval at the end and the critics have been raving about it, all the ones I've read, anyway. But alas, I did not like the play! I found it too long, too full of intellectual showing off just for the sake of it, and generally having a rather dodgy message which seemed to be -- Forget politics, rock and roll is much more important and valuable. Of course this is me being flippant,but it was an odd experience being among so much adulation and thinking, gosh, is it just me? Or is it a case of the emperor's new clothes?
The music was good, though -- lots of Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd, blasting out between scenes.
Reviews will soon appear on the RCT website and I will send (or bring!) a play text soon.

2 Comments:

Blogger ramganeshk said...

most excellent. sounds like a happy riot! more more more!

12:39 pm  
Blogger harriet said...

It is sad about Carl. And a bit puzzling too as he seemed so keen to come back in August. I think he must have work committments that he can't afford to miss. But I'm sure you will get good input and feedback from whoever comes instead.
Exciting life? I guess. It's rather amazing to think of my book winging its way over to you -- I'm touched that you bothered!

2:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home