Friday, October 13, 2006

Motley etc

I'm sorry I've been away so long.

Got back on to the blog yesterday and immediately wished I hadn't! I feel as though we've been in this wonderfully Utopian space so far, nothing but the writing and the discipline and the craft, and now suddenly all sorts of uncomfortable realities are beginning to invade it.

Or am I just being naive?

My news...Rage sent the play to Naseeruddin Shah in the hope that he might want to direct it and perhaps also play Rustom. Of course, I was completely star struck by the whole affair and fantasised all the way to a fabulous production in January. But he got back about a week ago saying no, it 'wasn't his kind of play'. I would by far have preferred 'I'm too busy'. Not his kind of play makes me question the merit of the thing entirely.

Ah well.

So now the search for a director begins again, and with names like Mahabanoo Kotwal and Lilette Dubey coming up, I am having nightmares. (Thank God this is a private space!)

As therapy, I've begun my second play. It seems to be writing itself but it is such a lonely process in comparison to the first. Why can't we have a Vasind every year, dammit!

More soon and love.

By the way Harriet, I am re-reading "Being George Devine's Daughter" and am again struck by the storybook quality of your life. By that I mean both romantic and perpetually interesting. I wish I had read it before we spent ten days together in Vasind...I'd have had so many questions for you.

4 Comments:

Blogger ramganeshk said...

ah... my long silence was because i was wondering how to make this space more functional. i think utopia is fine and remains so, as long as it's anchored onto something. :-)

Also, although this is a private space it can be viewed by anyone online and can even show up on google searches. fyi...

Kick bum on the second play!

any ideas on making this virtual space more useful to everyone in some way?
tht script library idea is still nascent. i've got a couple of others that have been gestating in me head.
dunno lets see...

1:19 pm  
Blogger harriet said...

Hi Maia -- sorry about the disappointment with the play. But don't take it personally -- you must know from your own experience that you can see or read a play (or film, novel etc) that you know is good but is just not your sort of thing. I know I do sometimes. A play that appealed to everone in the world would probably be extremely bland and boring! Another director will have another point of view. And well done you for going on to play number two!
I wonder what your questions are about my life (!!!!). You can ask them in January....

2:02 pm  
Blogger Swar Thounaojam said...

maia babes, can you send me your script please? i haven't read it after our march workshop! i don't wanna say sorry etc for the motley thing but just this - keep writing. when we meet next time, i will tell you an epic of all the rejections i have faced! even my second play is ON.

12:05 am  
Blogger Cloud Mother said...

Christ! Now you guys have scared me! I haven't dared ask Shernaz what's happening with the script yet...but good to know about the second scripts! Mine is on, too! :D

1:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home