Sunday, December 03, 2006

Theatre and history lessons

Guess this post is more for Vijay than anyone else! Been having a whirlwind week but decided that come what may I would catch something at the Prithvi festival. Managed to catch a couple of plays, both by, er, an extremely erudite gentleman. Erudite, no doubt, (and I'm not being sarcy) and he made sure the audience knew that. The show started almost half an hour late, and I was beginning to panic because the schedule was really tight and we had a performance scheduled in exactly two and a half hours. But after one hour of a history lesson (taught by a very sleepy and long-winded teacher) called Mahadevbhai, I frankly didn't feel terrible about having to walk out during the intermission. Went with a lot of apprehensions to see today's Cotton-Polyester show. It was better, but frankly not quite the zinger, and I could clearly see the director's inputs shining through.
The one thing shining through is a lack of energy in the scripts. There's no zing, you know? Cotton-polyester holds you because of the fine actors in the cast. Kumud Mishra, was, I thought, really good, as was the actor who played Bhausaheb, and they were well-supported by the rest of the cast. which is not to say that Jaimini Pathak was not good, but the script was soooooo boring!
This has made me really apprehensive. This guy is supposed to be one of the more successful playwrights around, isn't he? And quite clearly knows it! I hope I don't end up completely miscalculating the way the play is supposed to come across to an audience, and end up dependent on a great cast to pull through my script, 'cause I may not get that.
Oh god, do I sound uptight! But how I wish we had the luxury of a private showing with the harshest audience, like that play-in-making concept we read here some time back...I am so totally dreading the January onslaught. Give us honest reviews, You up there...and better make them good ones!

(PS: Am coming over to Bombay on the 6th for a couple of days to meet my team. Who's around in the city at that time? Let's catch up!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home