Monday, April 10, 2006

Wtf!

A month before the 'pretty but gone' scene on the terrace...

Z finally agrees to go trekking with Rocky. Rocky cleverly wears steel-tipped Cats and promptly gets so exhausted that they have to stop every 5 minutes to rest. They begin snapping at each other and eventually it becomes a fight over Jojo.

Rocky thinks that Z treats Jojo like shit. Z thinks that Rocky is in no position to comment. Rocky say that Jo's his cousin and that he has every right to protect her. Z says that after raping Jo it would be pretty dumb to try to protect her. Rocky goes beserk with that accusation - he got her pregnant by mistake. 'That's not what Jo said' says Z. Verbal deadlock. Rocky snaps...

Rocky starts pushing Z around. Z jujitsu-pins him and gets him subdued. Rocky is humiliated. Z walks away disgusted. Rocky slips the carabiner on his fist and whacks Z on the base of his neck, taking him down. Snarls. Fumes. Spits and growls his anger. Crushes Z's bad hand with his boot, breaks all his fingers. Screams - "You don't love her!" and kicks Z in the ribs till he coughs blood. End of scene.

Did Rocky rape Jojo? Is Jo lying? Is Z really in love with Jo or just plain stupid?

... ... ...

Frankly I haven't a clue. What's wrong with these people??? Any takers? God help me.

3 Comments:

Blogger ramganeshk said...

Hrm.

I agree that the triple sundae of love, love and stupidity seems a possible mud puddle to slosh about in. Let's see what other crap these mad people do as when they feel like it.

But I think 4 characters is toink enough – esp. since 2 kind of just showed up. (Oh btw… Jojo marries Amjad Kapoor. And Juile is Jo's roomie in the apt. at Khar – I think, so all accounted for.)

Yes. Z must spit blood because 1. I like bloody fights. 2. It's very difficult not to do that when kicked in the ribs with a steel tipped Caterpillar boot. 3. I like blood. He he.

But seriously… I'm curious. As a director, I might choose to ignore a stage direction like that and go with standard saliva for ease of staging. I dunno. I see it as blood, so I'll write it in as a writer. It’s a debate. Actors? Directors? Any takes? What does one do with a stage direction that adds colour but is not necessarily hyper-critical in the larger scheme of things? Add or cut?

Oh mentor! This scene is about a month before the break up negotiations on the terrace. And I have absolutely no idea where in the play it will occur. The scenes are coming out all jumbled and random. So I know what happens in the 7 little scenes I wrote, but no idea how they are going to relate to each other. And by the math I'm not supposed to do, I need 12 scenes for perfect symmetry.

Memory and truth eh? Erm… uhh…Hrm. I think I'll nudge it in the direction of 'e(motional) judo' - how to e-push and e-pull someone simultaneously to off-e-balance them. Basically - mortal kombat in an arena of relationships.

Also, the Vasind magic is kaput. I need to get out of B'lore for a bit if I want to free up the brain to write the rest of the scenes. Bummer man… I wish that energy stuck around longer. Damn damn damn. I'm brain cold – in this blazing B'lore summer.

8:51 pm  
Blogger ramganeshk said...

1. Can the recurring rape, blood-gore be viewed thematically - as rapacity? What is your actual objection to these elements, giving allowance for taste?

2. I agree on the physical violence part. But I am a little worried about sub-textual violence. It can get a bit boring if all the snapsnarlkillemall energy just keeps lurking under the surface like a sunken rasgulla. Wouldn't it be natural for the thing to bob up, now and then? Rear its ugly head, so to speak? And Rocky seems the only overtly violent character as of now, all the others being wonderfully capable headfuckers...

3. I think getting kicked by Cats is a frightfully unexpected way of getting hurt! Bet Z didn't anticipate that!

4. Man... you put me an auto-pilot and things are going to get scary. This is what has always terrified the living fuck out of me. Wtf.

10:09 am  
Blogger ramganeshk said...

I knew that correspondence course rumour was true!

I'm only familiar with the e-group which is impalednguttedmickeymousefans@yahoogroups.com

:-) haha

7:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home